meet lauranOUR LOVE STORYBABY REEFSPONSORCONTACTASK

Friday, May 4, 2012

A Coach's Wife

My hubby is a baseball coach, a retired college baseball player, a retired high school baseball player, a retired little league, pony league, and whatever-other-leagues-he-played-on-as-a-child baseball player. He LOVES baseball! Matter of fact I love it too! However, being a Coach's Wife isn't always home runs, triple plays, and stolen bases.

The hubs is second from the left in the second row {the one who looks like a student and who forgot his baseball pants on picture day, so they stuck him in the back!}
High school baseball starts in February {not counting fall ball or any "outside of the season" practices} and ends, for my husband's school, in mid May. If they make the championship and keep advancing, it can go well into June. It takes up at least three months of his life as well as mine and while I like it, it has it's drawbacks. 

His junior year of college ball!

I tend to spend a lot of evenings at home with just the pup and I. On practice nights, the hubby is usually home by 6:30 which works out perfectly, because I'm home by 6:00. I usually try my hardest to cook dinner on those evenings since we are home together, sometimes I fail at that. On game nights, he does not get home until 8:00, and I either fix something quick like a frozen pizza, or just eat a bowl of cereal and leave him on his own {8:00 is just too late for me to eat ha}! Then there are the weekends where he has games and practices on Saturday. The majority of the games are local and practices are only about 2 hours but it still cuts into our "spend together, get stuff done" time.  Some games are further away, for instance, this past weekend it was 3 hours away, and tomorrow's game is 2 hours away. Luckily tomorrow's game is the last distant one! I find myself doing a lot of things on my own, which is totally okay and in no way am I complaining! I'm just sharing what I go through from February till May every year. 
Cheering him on at one of the MANY games I froze my behind off at.

I am extremely independent. It was how I was raised. If something is broke I examine it to see if I can determine what the issue is. If it's fixable I fix it, if not, that's what the yellow pages are for! My mom taught me to never have to rely on anyone if it's something I can handle myself. I take great pride in that and I like the fact that I don't need someone to take care of me. I'm fully capable to do so on my own. That being said, I am absolutely okay with the hubby being on the road a lot during the first several months of the year. Yes, I do miss him and spending time together but we seem to survive it just fine. Baseball is his passion and I'd be selfish to expect him to give that up. Coaching is the last string he has attached to it now that he no longer plays. We still try to have date nights and we usually always have Sundays to spend together and take care of errands or projects. This season I've been lucky enough to have Baby Reef for company! It makes the time go by faster when I have him to focus on and pay attention to and I don't ever feel lonely. 

Senior Day 2008 for the Hampden Sydney baseball team! So proud of him!

I know several of my readers are married to, engaged to, or dating men in med-school, on the police/fire/EMT force, in the military, and various other time demanding positions. I can't tell you enough how much respect I have for you ladies! It takes a lot of devotion, love, trust, and understanding to be with a man who you hardly get to see. I can't imagine what it's like going to bed alone for weeks and even months at a time or spending a Friday night in alone, or raising a family by yourself. You have my utmost respect and I hope that you know how amazing you all are for being the rock in your companion's life! 

I really can't wait for the next few weeks to be over with, but it still breaks my heart when he has to say goodbye to another season. He has known baseball his whole life {I like to say it's his mistress} and I know he misses playing the game! If coaching is what gives him the outlet he needs, than I say, coach away! Coach till you can't coach anymore! At least I'll still get to call myself the coach's wife! 

Hope you all are having a fabulous Friday!!! Have an even more wonderful weekend and I'll see y'all back here on Monday!!!

Xoxo, 

5 comments:

  1. Mr. A interviewed to be a baseball coach for a local middle school. It would have been a crazy schedule! I was looking forward to attending some games, though.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun to attend although I haven't made it out to a single one this year! By the time I get off work and get to a game it's over :(

      Delete
  2. I love that you are so independent. That is awesome. I need to be more like that. I tend to rely on my husband a lot. For the first 2 years we were married he was in the Marine Corps, then when he got out he became a police officer. So for the past 3 years he's been doing that and going to school full time as well. Add to that training and court sometimes 4 days a week and I never see him :( with 2 kids it is so hard. So I definitely feel ya on the crazy schedules our husbands have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara! I love that you take care of your family with a hubby who is gone a lot!! That takes a lot of courage and strength! You are obviously stronger and more independent than you give yourself credit for!!

      Delete
  3. I feel your pain girl! I wish we were closer so we could spend our nights together! :) It's a weird situation to be so proud of them but miss them so much too.

    ReplyDelete