meet lauranOUR LOVE STORYBABY REEFSPONSORCONTACTASK

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Up All Night

Baby Reef gave us quite a fright on Thursday evening and I can honestly say that night was the equivalent of what a mom feels like when her child is up sick all night! Thank the good Lord above I’m experiencing incidents like this now, because it is showing us a glimpse of what our future will look like when we decide to expand our family! Yes, a baby up all night will be far more frequent but at least we know how to work with no sleep and constant wake ups!

Thursday evening was like any other. The hubby had a baseball game to coach and I was home doing “housewife” duties with the pup. I fed him his dinner at 6:30 and let him play in the yard for an hour or so. I was extremely tired and looking forward to a really good nights sleep so I headed up to bed at 8:30pm. Yes, that’s right I crawled into our bed at 8:30 that night! I was going to enjoy my sleep, so I thought.

At around 11:30 I randomly woke up and noticed Baby Reef wasn’t sleeping on the bed with us as usual. I heard him pitter pattering around downstairs and wondered what he was doing walking around. Then, I smelled it! A foul and very unpleasant smell. I got up out of bed in the dark, as to not wake the hubby, and with the light of my IPhone I looked around our room praying I wouldn’t step in “a surprise”. I didn’t see anything so I headed downstairs. At the front door I saw a small amount of what was putting off this horrible stench, but knew that couldn’t be it, it wasn’t “enough”. I then found it, in the kitchen and was horrified! How did my sweet 8 month old pup produce this?! {I apologize if this is graphic. I am trying to refrain from actually telling you what it was or what it looked like, just use your imaginations!} I opened up our sliding glass doors to start airing the house out and proceeded to clean the mess up, yellow rubber dish gloves and all, which were my saving grace. Once all was cleaned up, sanitized, and aired out, we headed back upstairs to go back to sleep.

An hour and a half later I woke up to Baby Reef jumping off the bed and making a slight heaving noise. At this point because he was in our room I had to turn on the light which woke the hubby up. What greeted us were two piles of undigested dog food! Everything he ate for dinner was on my bedroom floor! AWESOME! Yellow rubber gloves where are you?! We gathered the cleaning supplies and went to work on the floor. After this incident I started to get worried! Why was my baby sick? I already made up my mind to take him to the vet first thing in the morning, this just wasn’t normal! And to validate that decision even more, ten minutes later he was back downstairs making another mess for us to clean up. He looked so upset that he was making more messes for momma to clean up, but he was sick! Of course I couldn’t be upset with him! The funniest part to me was that I cleaned it up as any mom would clean up her own child’s mess. It didn’t bother me like I thought it would have. He is my baby and I’d do anything for him, plain and simple.

I decided I would stay downstairs on the couch for the rest of the night with him. Meaning I didn’t get a wink of sleep, I constantly watched him while he was sleeping to make sure he was still breathing and caressed him to soothe him! Ya’ll may think I’m nuts but whether he has fur and four legs or two legs and can talk, he is my child. I was legitimately worried.

We went to the vet as soon as they opened that morning and they were able to fit him in! They did a full body check on him, took stool samples, took blood work, and gave him shots to make sure he didn’t dehydrate. While at the vet he was his playful puppy self! Wanting to see everyone and get his pats and rubs from the front desk ladies and assistants! The vet didn’t seem too worried and made a recommendation to change his food diet from what he was currently on. He also prescribed him an antibiotic to help with some small amounts of bacteria in his bowels. Other than that he was a perfectly healthy pup! Great teeth, eyes, ears, skin, etc.! I was a proud momma!

Since that horrible night Baby Reef has been perfectly fine! We had him on a rice and cottage cheese/chicken diet for a few days to help soothe his tummy and he just started on his new food yesterday evening. We aren’t giving him ALL of the food servings as to not shock his stomach, just mixing a little bit with the rice and cottage cheese! He has also been a champ at taking his antibiotics! He's been sleeping through the night and so have I! We are still keeping close tabs on him, but all and all I do believe he is perfectly fine now!

Seriously hoping we don’t have to experience a night like that with him again! I think it’s a bit harder with animals, since you can’t feel their foreheads to see if they are running a fever and their symptoms are different and a lot of times not recognizable to humans like babies and children's are. Needless to say it was an experience and I am beyond grateful that nothing serious was wrong with our sweet boy! We’ve talked about it before and can’t imagine our little family without him!

I’ll leave y'all with a photo of his precious little face! Such a good boy!!!



Happy Tuesday to y'all! Hope everyone is enjoying the gorgeous weather today!! Loving that sunshine!
 
Xoxo,

No comments:

Post a Comment