meet lauranOUR LOVE STORYBABY REEFSPONSORCONTACTASK

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Why Do They Call Them Wisdom Teeth Anyway?

Sooo yes, as you may have gathered from my title, this would be about my wisdom teeth removal! By the way, I assume they call them wisdom teeth because they usually grow in as you age and become older and wiser?! Yea. That's it. I just googled it. Actually it just says they are called that because they do come in SOOOOOO much later than your regular adult teeth. I'd still like to think mine developed with my awesome oldness!

True story here. When I was 11 and went in for braces they took an x-ray before plastering those metal wires to my teeth . During said x-ray consultation, they informed me that I DID NOT HAVE ANY wisdom teeth. None. Zip, Zero, Nada. They had no worries about having to pull anything before putting me in those metal nightmares because there was NOTHING there. Or so they thought. Perhaps looking a bit higher they may have found them or maybe they just appeared later in my life, out of thin air, if that's at all possible. Ha please! Regardless, nothing was pulled when I was 11. Now, at age 27, that's a different story!


Meals for the day included instant mashed potatoes and pudding! 

I probably noticed them about two years ago when they started breaking through the skin. I was having frequent migraines and some pain chewing. Little did I know, my top two wisdom teeth, which I was told I didn't have, decided they were going to show themselves. My dentist at the time confirmed that they were in fact coming through. He also told me I would have to go to an Oral Surgeon, which we all know, even with insurance can be pretty pricey. I wasn't ready to commit to that. So, I let a year pass and suffered through the pain. Finally at the beginning of this year I switched to a new dentist, per insurance reasons. This dentist {an awesome one mind you} informed me that HE would be able to take them out himself. Side Note: At this point both teeth were pretty much fully erupted through my gums, which would make for easy extraction! After finally getting finances in order {because I was told it would still cost me an arm, a leg, and all my teeth, even with insurance} I decided to book the appointment. Well those reasons, and the fact that I was getting a migraine at least once a week! Welp, that appointment was this past Friday, and I'm not lying when I say it was a breeze!

I wasn't nervous at all, until the night before. My momma came to pick me up and take me as the hubby can't just "get off work" to take his wife to a morning appointment. Lame Lame Lame. Anywho, once mom and I got to the dentist's office, the dentist's wife, who runs the front desk, ran me through the process. She also calmed my nerves a lot! Once I got in the chair they gave me laughing gas {which did make me giggly} and started to numb my gums! I am really terrified of needles and the sweet assistant offered to hold my hand while the doctor shot me up with Novocaine! Once I was numb, they gave me headphones to listen to some music and went to town. I swear I am not exaggerating when I say both teeth came out in about 5 minutes {that's how fully erupted they were}. It took them longer to numb me up than to actually pull BOTH teeth. They then stuffed me with gauze, let me look at those big mamma jammas and sent me on my way! Yes, it was that simple. Maybe you knew it was that simple... I didn't! Once at the front desk, I paid for my services, which was the icing on the easy breezy tooth extraction cake, because it ended up NOT costing me an arm, a leg, and ALL my teeth like I was told previously! Needless to say, I was relieved and thankful for my insurance and the fact that I think the front desk assistant screwed up the first go round when giving me teeth extraction quotes. Oops!

I can't help but think of the "Laughing Gas" scene in Mary Poppins! 
Anywho, mom and I went to fill my pain reliever prescription... HELLO Vicodine and then headed back home where I tried to eat some pudding but looked like I was a bit on the crippled side as I couldn't feel the spoon or food in my mouth from still being numb. I napped for the majority of the late morning/early afternoon while mom vacuumed and cleaned up for me. Yea, she's pretty awesome. Once I woke up, I was good to go. Not swollen, not hurting, and certainly ready to get out of the house. So mom and I did a little shopping! Yes, four hours after having two teeth pulled, I was trying on dresses and looking at home decor in T.J. Maxx!

Needless to say it has been a very pleasant experience. I had heard some horror stories, but mainly from those who had their teeth surgically removed. I think the fact that my teeth were fully erupted and were able to be pulled was my saving grace! I wish I had some kind of before and after photos buuut considering I didn't look like a chipmunk afterwards, I didn't take any! On a serious note, if you are holding off on getting a procedure like this done, in the name of Nike, JUST DO IT. It is probably one of the best things you could do for your other teeth and your health. I am really looking forward to having fewer migraines now that these suckers aren't causing pressure throughout my whole entire head.

I know I know, who really wanted to hear about my experience?! Hope you all are having a fabulous Tuesday!!! See y'all tomorrow for What I'm Loving Wednesday! Ohhh and P.S. thanks for all the "welcome backs"! It's nice to know I was missed!

XoXo,


4 comments:

  1. Mine came out in college and I remember it not being a big deal...but I was put completely under for four of them. No recovery issues though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had mine done last Tuesday! Way less scary than I expected as well. Kind of wish I hadnt waited so long. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad you had a good experience... i had mine out in high school, but they knocked me out so good, i don't even remember the whole day. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, you're back! Glad it wasn't bad:)

    ReplyDelete